Careers in the age of Covid

Home Page Forums ALTI Student & Educator Forum Careers in the age of Covid

• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 8 months ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Barry Vogel
    Keymaster

Great time to start out on a career, right? In person interviews are just about dead. How do you impress a prospective employer without a handshake, or eye contact? (Hint: Your resume will not do it alone!)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Every generation has its challenges. That being said, this one is, in all probability, the most daunting hurdle faced by young graduates in a very, very long time.

I think that making sure you are savvy in the tech available (Zoom, etc) so that you can “put on a good presentation” during your virtual interview is imperative not only during this pandemic, but likely moving forward in general. My guess is that employers will continue to opt for Zoom calls instead of in-person meetings, at least for an initial interview.
    As an educator, I try to stay very consistent with how I appear on Zoom every time and I’ve worked hard at being prepared, with the technology available, to meet my students’ needs. I usually have documents, pictures, slides, and even a whiteboard on my iPad with an Apple pencil ready to go at all times.
    As an interviewee, you should be prepared with examples of your work, research, etc. Even if the interviewer doesn’t ask for them during the interview, I’ll bet you’ll likely come across as more confident in the interview process simply because you know, in the back of your mind, you ARE prepared.

Definitely challenging times that require “out of the box” thinking to get where you’re trying to go.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Excellent thoughts, Scott! I have become far more proficient at Zoom etc. than I ever thought I would at this stage of my life (no comments, anyone!) and I find it a highly useful tool for communicating everything from technical presentations to having band rehearsals (hint: everyone is on mute so we don’t get barraged by the nightmare of lag time trombones).

Still, I think it is important for students and recent grads to evaluate their online interview presentation before actually embarking on the mission. Perhaps trials with trusted friends who will evaluate honestly is a good way to prepare.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.